Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Pregnant and very ,very scared

I have a question I am seven months pregnant and had an encounter one month ago where I ended up with blood on my leg a stream down my calf and have absolutely no idea where it came from. Inoticed it after returning home from the bookstore.I am certain this was blood and I had absolutely not cuts on me .I did however notice a small pinpoint mark on my leg. Which made me think maybe something stuck me.( Ireally donot believe it would have produced so much blood.) Iknow this sounds really bizarre. My husband who is an OB/Gyn has told me not to worry aboutit.I then begin developing a sorethroat around three weeks past this exposure.Which now concerns me that it is ARS. The anxiety was so bad I did a DNA PCR test from Quest diagnostics which the results were not detected (30 days). Ihave read so many mixed reviews about this test I Am now concerned about the validity. Istill have a sore throat and am taking antibiotics.Ihave been on them for four days. I have begin sweating At night which I am not sure is just not due to anxiety and hormones. MY question is I want to make sure I give my baby a safe passage into this world. Ialso wanted to breastfeed.If I get a negative Elisa test at 12weeks do you think it is safe to do this. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time Iam sorry if it took so long to read.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

A negative HIV test at 12 weeks should provide complete reassurance of being HIV negative; JLS>

thrush
Enfants who test HIV+and later test HIV-