Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does having thrush mean that my baby is already infected
Sep 10, 2001

I sent an email to you earlier on, the title of the email was "Pregnancy with undectable viral load without medication" At the time of my pregnancy my viral load was <50 and cd4 count 700, during pregnancy it fluctuated between <50 and <80. Now my viral load is back to <50. Now I have a baby girl, during the last two weeks of pregnancy, I was placed on AZT and also intravenous AZT during labour. I had a vaginal delivery , but lately I have been very worried after reading an article that you replied online titled "HIV exposed infants" My daughter had thrush when she was four weeks old. She also catches cold easily. Does that mean she has been infected at birth!! I did a PCR DNA test for her but I have been so scared to collect the result. Actually I went out of the states (USA) for a while, so that I will not be faced with reality. I am really scared because I thought 1 risk factor may not be me. My baby was also exposed to muconium during labour i.e she took a little bit of her feaces during delivery, so peadiatricians were all around to get it off her system.

I am really worried, please let me know what other signs I need to look out for!!

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

No one symptom or sign reliably distinguishes HIV-infected from HIV-uninfected infants. While we certainly do see thrush in HIV-infected babies, it is also commonly seen in uninfected babies. The diagnosis of HIV infection can only be made through serial testing of your infant for the presence of the virus in her blood (DNA PCR). While the testing can be anxiety-provoking, it is in your child's best interest and I would urge you to complete it.

Previous
HIV Exposed Infant
Next
Dosing for 5y old child

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.