Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Does having thrush mean that my baby is already infected

I sent an email to you earlier on, the title of the email was "Pregnancy with undectable viral load without medication" At the time of my pregnancy my viral load was <50 and cd4 count 700, during pregnancy it fluctuated between <50 and <80. Now my viral load is back to <50. Now I have a baby girl, during the last two weeks of pregnancy, I was placed on AZT and also intravenous AZT during labour. I had a vaginal delivery , but lately I have been very worried after reading an article that you replied online titled "HIV exposed infants" My daughter had thrush when she was four weeks old. She also catches cold easily. Does that mean she has been infected at birth!! I did a PCR DNA test for her but I have been so scared to collect the result. Actually I went out of the states (USA) for a while, so that I will not be faced with reality. I am really scared because I thought 1 risk factor may not be me. My baby was also exposed to muconium during labour i.e she took a little bit of her feaces during delivery, so peadiatricians were all around to get it off her system.

I am really worried, please let me know what other signs I need to look out for!!

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

No one symptom or sign reliably distinguishes HIV-infected from HIV-uninfected infants. While we certainly do see thrush in HIV-infected babies, it is also commonly seen in uninfected babies. The diagnosis of HIV infection can only be made through serial testing of your infant for the presence of the virus in her blood (DNA PCR). While the testing can be anxiety-provoking, it is in your child's best interest and I would urge you to complete it.

HIV Exposed Infant
Dosing for 5y old child