Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pregnancy
Aug 31, 2001

I am negative and my partner positive and on triple therapy. He is a heamophiliac and also has hepatitis C. We have been together for 10 yrs and I am 37 and would like to have a baby. If you were me what would you do ?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

This is definitely an important decision for you and your partner, so I would urge both of you to seek as much information as possible and then discuss your situation with your care providers.

You mention that you are HIV negative and your partner is positive. Unprotected sexual intercourse carries the risk of HIV transmission to you and then possibly to the baby. This is true even is your partners blood viral load has been lowered by the triple drug therapy. You don't mention your hepaptitis C status, but if you are negative, hepatitis c transmission to you and then to the baby is also of concern.

There are ways to reduce (but not eliminate) the risk of HIV transmission -- these include in vitro fertilization (fertilization of the egg outside the body) and sperm washing. For more details on these approaches, please see responses to several prior questions on this forum and the Forum on Discordant Couples. In vitro fertilization can be costly and sperm washing is not widely available, so you should check with your care provider about their availability in your area.

Previous
HIV+ Children
Next
Long Term Nonprogressor Children

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.