Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Pregnancy

I am negative and my partner positive and on triple therapy. He is a heamophiliac and also has hepatitis C. We have been together for 10 yrs and I am 37 and would like to have a baby. If you were me what would you do ?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

This is definitely an important decision for you and your partner, so I would urge both of you to seek as much information as possible and then discuss your situation with your care providers.

You mention that you are HIV negative and your partner is positive. Unprotected sexual intercourse carries the risk of HIV transmission to you and then possibly to the baby. This is true even is your partners blood viral load has been lowered by the triple drug therapy. You don't mention your hepaptitis C status, but if you are negative, hepatitis c transmission to you and then to the baby is also of concern.

There are ways to reduce (but not eliminate) the risk of HIV transmission -- these include in vitro fertilization (fertilization of the egg outside the body) and sperm washing. For more details on these approaches, please see responses to several prior questions on this forum and the Forum on Discordant Couples. In vitro fertilization can be costly and sperm washing is not widely available, so you should check with your care provider about their availability in your area.

HIV+ Children
Long Term Nonprogressor Children