Aug 31, 2001
I have two adopted children that are HIV+ from birth. They are both with undedectable viral loads since being on medicines. The 2 year old has done very well with the first combination of drugs, Epivir, Retrovir and Virammune. The 3 year old is on his second round of meds being Virammune, Zerit and Kaletra. Currently what is the prognosis and/or life expectancy of HIV+ children?
Response from Dr. Jackson
The use of triple drug therapy in children is relatively recent so it is difficult to predict how long the average life expectancy of an HIV+ child will be extended at this time. In general, for every sustained 10 fold decrease in plasma HIV RNA, clinical progression is decreased by half.
pregnancy from anal intercourse
- Dark Bumps After Sensual Massage Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Rimming Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Skin After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Testicles After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Psoriasis After Receptive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.