Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Test for viral load in vaginal secretions

I keep reading about possibility of infection of the husband even though his wife has undetectable viral load. Why is'nt there a kit or test of some sort to help couples know one way or the other what the viral load is in vaginal secretions. We want to have a baby and I don't know what to say to my husband. While all the guessing?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

There are some technical difficulties in measuring viral load in vaginal secretions and at present, the procedures are not standardized. While this is an area of active research, it will probably be at least a couple of years before a method is more widely available.

IVF proceedure
Hope