Women and HIVWomen and HIV

IVF proceedure

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 4 years. We were told we would have to use IVF to achive pregnancy. Right befor the IVF proceedure I tested positive for HIV, my husband was negetive. We would still like to have a child using the IVF method. Can you give us any information on this? I am currently undetectable with a cd4 count of 600.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

IVF (in vitro fertilizatiion) is a procedure in which the egg is fertilized with sperm outside the womb.If your husband is HIV negative, this procedure will minimize the risk of HIV transmission to him.

With any pregnancy, there is a risk of transmission of virus from mother-to-child. With a CD4 count of 600 and undetectable RNA, the likelihood of transmission is low. I would, however,recommend that you discuss your plans for pregancy with your HIV care provider in order to plan for ways that you can minimize the risk of transmission of the virus to your baby.

Help take a decision
Test for viral load in vaginal secretions