Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Help take a decision

I am HIV+, my husband is HIV negative, I have just got to know. I am two months pregnant,what is the risk to my child, should I go in for abortion? Please Advise.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Before you make any decisions, I would advise you to discuss your situation with your care provider. While there is always a risk of transmission of HIV from an infected mother to her baby, there are several things that you can do to markedly reduce the risk of transmission. In particular, antiretroviral therapy can preserve your health, as well as help to prevent HIV transmission to your baby. To learn more about mother-to-child HIV transmission and how to prevent it, please see the guidelines for antiretroviral therapy during pregnancy, available on this web site under "Treatment Guidelines."

Pregnant +Sustiva
IVF proceedure