Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Father: HIV +, Mother isnt. What about the Child?

My partner is HIV+. I am not. He has undergone several different meds and currently does not have the virus in his semen. The only place his doctor has found the virus is in the glands of his neck I am about 2 weeks pregnant. Is it possible for the virus to be transfered to the fetus? And if so, would a. abortion be the best choice? or b. utilize the now available drugs to keep the baby?

Response from Dr. Jackson

It is extremely unlikely that the fetus would become infected without the mother first becoming infected. As long as you remain uninfected, then the fetus will not become infected. Therefore, it is important that you get tested during your pregnancy especially if you continue to be exposed to your partner's body fluids. If you do become infected, then antiretrovirals are recommended.

BJ

Your expert opinion please!
herpes and hiv