Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Breastfeeding question

i am looking for PROOF of transmission through breastfeeding by a mother with an undetectable VL cd4 over 800...never on meds until this pregnancy (azt for the last 3 months) Please help me with any info you can give me, as i have yet to find anything that specifically pinpoints an actual documented case. Thnak You

Response from Dr. Jackson

I do not know of an actual case of HIV transmission via breast milk when the plasma HIV viral load was undetectable. Our studies have shown that HIV transmission by breastfeeding generally does not occur below a maternal plasma viral load of 10,000 copies/ml. However, that does not mean transmission cannot occur, and even though the risk appears to be very low, I would recommend that an HIV infected woman not breastfeed her baby if she lives in the US or Europe.

BJ

breast cancer and HIV
when did the general public become aware of the HIV/AIDS virus?