Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Protecting kids from OIs

I have HIV and so does my kid. I hear that I don't have to keep taking meds for pcp and other opportunistic infections. But I was told my kid will have to. Why is that? Any hope that studies will show that they will be able to stop as well?

GH

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Based on accumulating information, many health care providers feel comfortable discontinuing preventive therapies for pcp and other infections in adults whose CD4 counts rise above the "danger zone" after they start antiviral therapy. Information relevant to children is much more limited and, because of differences in the immune systems of adults and children, the adult experience might not be relevant to children. Several PACTG studies are currently examining the degree to which CD4 T cell numbers and function are restored in children following antiretroviral therapy. One study, in particular (P1008), is examining whether it is safe to discontinue preventive medicines for pcp and other infections in children. Results from these studies should be available over the next year or 2.

Katherine Luzuriaga, M.D.

Child allergic to Bactrim
Deficiencies with Pregnancy