Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Nonoxynol 9 Revisited

Hello Doctors: I am moving very slowly into a relationship with a man who is HIV negative. I assume. I pulled some information which still maintains that nonoxynol 9 kills HIV. Of course I promptly bought such a lubricant. The information says to use the nonoxynol 9 both under and on the condom. Can this add an extra layer of protection? Or is this a false sense of security? Maybe he won't want to see me anyway after I tell him so I shouldn't worry about it. Thanks, Anne

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Nonoxynol 9 may provide additional protection in combination with a condom that is properly used; for peace of mind and safety I would encourage both you and your partner to get an HIV test prior to becoming sexually active. John L. Sullivan, M.D.

hiv and ivf
What to do if I become pregnant?