Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Transmission from infected woman to uninfected man.

I have been told that transmission of the virus is much harder from a woman to a man. Is this true. I know that there is supposed to be a concentration of the virus in fluids and menstrual fluids. But, also, what about a person in my situation: my vl is below detectable on a 50 copy test, my cd4 count is 670, and cd4 is at 47%. Wouldn't transmission risk be very low? What about with or without condoms? Obviously much safer with condoms.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Recent studies suggest that viral load is the strongest predictor of heterosexual transmission rather than gender. Having an undetectable viral load is associated with a low but not 0 risk of transmission. You should always use condoms and follow safe sex practices to ensure the lowest risk for transmission. John L. Sullivan, M.D.

viral load differences in men and women
why are women's viral loads different from men's?