Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

long term survivor, 38 years old, want a baby
Apr 10, 2000

I am 38 years old, with HIV+ for the last 16 years..currently on triple meds, ( actually only Crixivan right now) viral load undetectable, cd4 700, doing very well..just got remarried and want a baby beside my age what I have to look for? How the Crixivan will effect the baby?

It seems working very well on the virus I don't want to compromise my health but we really want a baby...can you give us some info..my husband is negative. Thank you Rossella

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Your question sounds very similar to one that I just answered, so please see my 04.10.2000 response to "Long term survivor, 38 years old, want a baby."

Again, keeping your viral load as low as possible is important to maintain your good health and to prevent transmission of the virus to your baby. I have some concern that your viral load might not stay undetectable on Crixivan alone, so it is important for you to discuss your situation and possible alternative regimens with your HIV care provider before you become pregnant.

We have considerable data on AZT during pregnancy. The most common observed side effect of AZT therapy of moms and their infants has been anemia, which resolves when the baby stops AZT therapy. No teratogenic effects (birth defects) have been linked to AZT therapy. A poorly-understood metabolic disorder has been described by French investigators in infants whose moms received AZT or AZT/3TC during pregnancy. However, review of an extensive American and European database failed to turn up similar cases. The long-term effects of antiviral exposure in utero are unknown but studies monitoring this are in progress.

The very limited information that we have thus far on the use of other antivirals during pregnancy also suggests that they are safe. The only drug that is not recommended for use during pregnancy is efavirenz, due to the observation of birth defects in infant monkeys whose mothers received efavirenz treatment during pregnancy.

You also indicate that your partner is HIV negative. As discussed previously in this forum and others on this web site, there is a risk of transmission of the virus from you to him even if your viral load is undetectable. Artificial insemination or in vitro fertilization would reduce this risk. Again, discussion of your options with your HIV and OB/GYN care providers is important.

Katherine Luzuriaga, M.D.

Previous
OHL in a 6yr old
Next
Acute hiv in children

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.