Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV+ woman having unprotected sex with HIV+ man.

Does a hiv+ woman increase the risk of a high viral load, thus jeopardizing her health, when having unprotected sex with a hiv+ man?

Using condoms is not an issue for me, but my partner is saying he refuses to have sex unless it is unprotected. Is this still a case of "if it's not on it's not on"????

My health is very important to me, and I refuse to compromise it, even if it means being alone.

As a heterosexual woman I did not ask for this disease, and it came about from being violated. Now I only want to do the best for my body in order to live a healthy and happy life. I am on meds and doing very well.

Jane.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

With unprotected sexual intercourse, it is possible that viruses may be transmitted from one HIV positive person to another. However, the frequency with which this occurs has not been well-studied. The risk of transmission of viruses from one partner to another may be reduced when blood viral load is undetectable (although virus can sometimes be detected in semen or vaginal fluids of HIV positive individuals with undetectable viral loads). The use of preparations with nonoxynol 9 might provide you with some protection.

If you are having unprotected sex without any form of contraception, another risk is that you could become pregnant and pass the virus to your infant.

Katherine Luzuriaga, M.D.

Undetectable Viral Load Without Meds
OHL in a 6yr old