Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV+ man, HIV- woman, IVF

I am an HIV+ man and I am interested in fathering a child. Is there risk of infestion to an HIV- woman if an egg is harvested, fertilized in vitro, and then returned to the mother?

Response from Dr. Jackson

Theoretically, there is a small risk because the semen containing the HIV may leave some residual virions in the fluid surrounding the fertilized egg or on the egg itself even after washing. Therefore when the egg is implanted, the woman might become infected. Although I think this risk is very small, it is probably not zero.

Newly Infected woman
normal t4/t8 ratio on long time infected