The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv- woman & hiv+ man want to have a baby
May 22, 2000

Hello. I am an hiv neg woman wishing to have a baby with my hiv+ husband. I read your answer to 'Hiv+man, HIV- woman, IVF' and I found out that my egg could be harvested, fertilized and returned in me. I understand it is not completely risk free, but willing to go for it. Now, my question is, who could i contact about this? And do you know what this would cost?

We are willing to do anything to have this baby, and in fact we've been waiting for him to get undetectable and try the usual means and take the risk, but after hearing about this I'd really like to hear more about it. My husband's cd4s are 616, and viral 1900. We've also been trying to find a doctor who would perform a sperm wash but have been unable to find one. We heard there could be someone in Boston, but do not know who to contact either..Please please help us. Any information would be greatly appreciated.


Response from Dr. Jackson

I do not know where you live, but Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD has an In Vitro Fertilization program run by Dr. Jairo Garcia. I know that the program has not performed such a procedure for an HIV discordant couple, but he is willing to consider it. Obviously such a procedure would require your informed consent and most likely the approval of the Johns Hopkins Institutional Review Board. The cost of such a procedure varies and I suggest you call Dr. Garcia's office directly at 410-955-7570 and tell him that I referred you.

Brooks Jackson, M.D.

HIV in children
breast feeding & triple cocktail

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint