The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Med vacation for 4 year old
Jun 6, 2000

I would absolutely love to give my 4 year old a med vacation. He has been undetectable for over two years on the same combo. Does anyone recommend this?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

While it sounds as if your child is doing well, I would not recommend this. For an excellent discussion of the issues involved, please see "Sick of Taking Your Medicines?

Hang in There, Help Is on the Way on this web site by David Scondras. Structured treatment interruption trials and immunotherapy trials are in early phases in adults. While some of the early data appear encouraging, it is too early to tell what the long-term risks and benefits will be. Also, because of differences in the immune systems between adults and children, it is unclear that the results from adult studies can be immediately translated into recommendations for children. So, I would agree with Mr. Scondras that this bears a lot more study (especially in children) and that immunotherapy or treatment interruption are best undertaken at present through a clinical study in which participants can be monitored very closely. Some HIV immunotherapy trials and a treatment interruption trial for children are in the planning stages through the Pediatric AIDS Clinical Trials Group (hopefully open some time over the next year). I would urge you to discuss whether your child might be eligible for one of these trial with your child's HIV care provider.

Katherine Luzuriaga, M.D.

Support systems available to pregnant women with AIDS
HIV in children

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint