Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Support systems available to pregnant women with AIDS

I am a grad. student in the social work field and my group is currently writing a macro paper dealing with pregnant women and their young babies who are HIV+. I am having problems finding support groups to write about. This paper is supposed to be a problem analysis with current goals and objectives, with the possibility of actually being implemented. We are looking at setting up a site in the inner city with free testing to any pregnant women. If a women gets tested we will supply her with a food and clothing voucher as an incentive. We are also offering education classes, and social/support classes on site. Which brings us back to my first question, are there any support groups? I found one that was a telephone support group but that was all. Please e-mail me if you have any information (by 6-2-00). Also, if you know of any Ohio laws or policies on this topic, or any National, please send those as well.

Thank You, Concerend Social Worker

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Available resources vary from site to site. For an overall perspective and information, I would suggest that you check out the National Pediatric HIV Resource Center (www.PEDHIVAIDS.org). For a more local perspective, I suggest that you contact a social work colleague at your nearest medical center that provides care for pregnant women and children. They should be able to provide an overview of available resources and contacts in your community. Katherine Luzuriaga, M.D.

changing drugs
Med vacation for 4 year old