Women and HIVWomen and HIV

CYTOMEGALOVIRUS

CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON THIS INFECTION...MY 15 YR OLD NIECE HAS CONTACTED IT AND NOW HER NEW BABY HAS IT AND IS NOW DEAF? PLEASE HELP MY FAMILY AND I UNDERSTAND THIS.

THANK YOU

Response from Dr. Jackson

Active cytomegalovirus infection in the mother especially early in pregnancy can cause a number of different types of birth defects in newborn infants including hearing loss, mental retardation, growth retardation, visual disturbances, and pneumonia. However, most exposed infants will not have all these symptoms, and some will have none.

Brooks Jackson, M.D.

If IVF is not an option
I have CMV.