Jul 25, 2000
CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON THIS INFECTION...MY 15 YR OLD NIECE HAS CONTACTED IT AND NOW HER NEW BABY HAS IT AND IS NOW DEAF? PLEASE HELP MY FAMILY AND I UNDERSTAND THIS.
Response from Dr. Jackson
Active cytomegalovirus infection in the mother especially early in pregnancy can cause a number of different types of birth defects in newborn infants including hearing loss, mental retardation, growth retardation, visual disturbances, and pneumonia. However, most exposed infants will not have all these symptoms, and some will have none.
Brooks Jackson, M.D.
If IVF is not an option
I have CMV.
- Can Cytomegalovirus Cause Miscarriage?
- Sore On Penis After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Stinging Pain After Blowjob Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- What Does Crabs Look Like The Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.