Women and HIVWomen and HIV

story on HIV+ women who choose to have children

My name is Kristen. I am a reporter at a News Channel. I am working on a story about HIV+ women who choose to have children. I am looking for women who have and who are about to have children. I am also looking for medical information about lowering the risk of passing the disease on to infants. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Jackson

The best way to lower an HIV+ pregnant woman's risk of transmitting HIV to her baby is to start on effective combination antiretroviral therapy early in pregnancy, have a C-section, and do not breastfeed.

Brooks Jackson, M.D.

love my Sis