Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Having a baby--positive man with neg woman

I read last week that there is a new procedure for HIV positive men to have negative babies. In the procedure, sperm is isolated from the fluid and white blood cells around it, where HIV is most likely to be found. If doctors cannot find HIV in the sperm sample, it is joined with an egg through in vitro fertilization.

But I heard that in the US there is a reluctance to do this. Do you have any idea where I can get this done? I want to have a child with my negative wife

Response from Dr. Jackson

I do not know where you can have this procedure. However, you should be aware that although this procedure greatly reduces the number of HIV in the sperm, the risk of HIV transmission with this procedure is not zero, and can still pose risk to your wife and fetus.

BJ

Should my sister be tested?
Husband HIV+/-