The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Having a baby--positive man with neg woman
May 1, 2001

I read last week that there is a new procedure for HIV positive men to have negative babies. In the procedure, sperm is isolated from the fluid and white blood cells around it, where HIV is most likely to be found. If doctors cannot find HIV in the sperm sample, it is joined with an egg through in vitro fertilization.

But I heard that in the US there is a reluctance to do this. Do you have any idea where I can get this done? I want to have a child with my negative wife

Response from Dr. Jackson

I do not know where you can have this procedure. However, you should be aware that although this procedure greatly reduces the number of HIV in the sperm, the risk of HIV transmission with this procedure is not zero, and can still pose risk to your wife and fetus.


Should my sister be tested?
Husband HIV+/-

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint