Women and HIVWomen and HIV

child pcr positive

Combinationtherapy + cesarian + azt all failed. My kid 16 months old asymptomatic stage pcr +ve. What steps should I take? PCR was taken at 3 months old. He is on zudovir syrup now.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Were any confirmatory tests done for your child after the positive PCR at 3 months of age? We usually like to repeat the PCR (or do another confirmatory test, such as HIV culture) at another time point to confirm the diagnosis of infection in a baby.

Once the diagnosis of infection is established, we usually do viral load testing (RNA PCR) and a CD4 count every 2-3 months. These test results, together with the child's clinical status, are the most important data that we use to determine treatment options. Have these been done for your child?

You might wish to check out the latest treatment guidelines for children (available on this web site) for a full discussion of antiretroviral therapies available for children and considerations in starting or changing antoretroviral therapies in children. I'm sure that you will probably have many questions once you have additional test results and as time goes on -- please feel free to wirte again with any questions that arise.

can perinatally HIV exposed infant testing negative, convert to positive
animal bite of HIV+ child