Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Environmental Transmissions and Children

My wife and I were both infected with HIV on 12/1/00. We have 4 young children. Between 4 and 8 weeks after our infection, they all came down with the flu, sore throats, each had terrible coughs, and bloody noses. Two of the children complained of pain in their muscles. One in left hip area and the other in his calves and stomach. I am scared to death that they may have been infected due to being around us while we were serovconverting. We were coughing and sneezing, and of course the kids are all over us because they are young. Is it possible that they can be infected?

Response from Dr. Jackson

It is very unlikely your children were HIV infected. A number of household contact studies of children living with HIV infected parents have shown little to no risk of HIV transmission in the absence of sexual or blood exposure. Their symptoms were more likely related to colds or flu. If you want to be certain have them tested for HIV antibody now and again in 2 months.

BJ

GYNE EXAM PAP SMEAR POSTMENAPAUSAL WOMAN
IS IT TRUE - KL