|Is baby protected from HIV in womb?
Dec 13, 2000
I am a student doing literary research on HIV and pregnancy. I wanted to know if the baby is protected from HIV in the womb or does the transmission only occur during delivery?
Response from Dr. Sullivan
Approximately 5-10% of infants born to untreated HIV-1 infected women will be infected in utero; 10-15% will be infected during labor and delivery; 10-15% during the period of breast feeding.JLS.
John L. Sullivan, M.D.
documented fact of children without symptoms
Pregnancy & HIV medication
- What Is The Percentage For Positive Herpes Simplex Type 1?
- What Is The Best Treatment For Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Happens When Shingles Gets In The Brain?
- What Can I Use Over The Counter To Treat Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Are The Characteristics Of Chlamydia Disease?
- Syphilis Chancre Sores And Tea Tree Oil
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.