Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Scared of recieving blood.

I was told that I will have to have a c-section and am scared to death of contracting HIV. The doctor told me that the chances were one in a million of getting it via blood in surgery but I still don't believe it. Doesn't the blood tested still have that 3-6 month window period? Any other options for me?

Response from Dr. Jackson

Your doctor is correct in saying that the chance of receiving HIV from a blood transfusion in the United States is less than 1 in a million. If you still are not comfortable with this low level of risk, you can donate your own blood ahead of time even when you are pregnant as long as your hematocrit is above 33%.

BJ

Treatment success
Special test request