Women and HIVWomen and HIV

SIDE EFFECT FROM ULTRASOUND???

Hello Doctor, and thanks for a wonderful website. I've been diagnosed with multiple fibroids, and I had a follow-up pelvic u/s and internal u/s done on 10/04/00. I felt just fine afterwards, but now, (10/23/00) since I've started my period, I'm having severe pelvic pain, and super-pubic pain, as well as lower abdomin pain, all on the right side. This is the side that has been giving me moderate discomfort for over a year now, (that's the reason for the follow-up u/s's). I've never suffered severe menstral cramps before, and I'm afraid that the u/s procedure performed on me may have aggravated an already existing problem. I'm really afraid and worried. Dear Doctor, could you Please tell me what steps I should take to find out what might be happening. Of course I don't think it would be a good idea to be examined and probed while in such pain.And to tell you the truth, I am reluctant to have just any GYN doctor do a internal exam, due to previous pain caused by less experienced doctors. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your response.

Waiting In Anticipation

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

With the change in symptoms, I would recommend that you be re-evaluated by a GYN provider that you trust. It is unlikely that the ultrasound caused worsening of your condition.

KL

Katherine Luzuriaga, M.D.

Alarmed and Exhausted
hiv in newborn