Women and HIVWomen and HIV

What are the complications of getting pregnant while on Viramune?

I was diagnosed hiv + in Dec 98'. I have been on a combination of Viramune and Combivir since October of 1999, with no major complications or side affects. My viral load is undetected and my tcells go between 550 and 950. I want to get pregnant and noticed on the bottle of Viramune that you should consult a dr if you plan on becoming pregnant. I went online to research Viramune and pregnancy and have not found any information pertaining to the warning. Also I mentioned this to my dr and though she did not give me an explanation she did tell me we should change my meds, I'm scared to do this incase I do not take well to my new meds. I'd like to know why I can't stay on the Viramune, just for arguments sake. I want all the facts before I go any further. Any information would be great, or if you know of an informative website, book, etc. Thank you in advance!

Response from Dr. Sullivan

The comments concerning Viramune and pregnancy are true for all antiretrovirals as they have not been proven safe in pregnant women; many HIV infected women have been treated with Viramune containing regimens and have had no complications; based on what we know about the drug and the experiences reported to date I would not discontinue Viramune if your disease is well controlled.JLS.

John L. Sullivan, M.D.

protocol 076 and infants
Alarmed and Exhausted