Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Question on relation

Dr. Jackson: I recently had a pap smear return as ASCUS and my concern is that I had an HIV test done under 6 months. It was an ELISA test at 21 weeks post last possible exposure. I was wondering if I could trust that test result and feel that my pap smear has no relation to this. I am suffering some stress and would appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Jackson

Today's ELISA tests for detection of HIV antibody are very sensitive. Most people become HIV antibody positive within 3-4 weeks from the time of exposure and nearly everyone will become positive within 16-20 weeks. Therefore, I think you can be certain you are not HIV infected since your last exposure was 21 weeks ago. The interpretation of ASCUS on your PAP smear is not related to HIV.

BJ

Brooks Jackson, M.D.

Poz Uncle Wants to See Sisters Newborn
AIDS AND PREGNANCY