Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV

I am a 28 lady living in Johannesburg, South Africa. I am HIV+ and my husband is HIV-. I am currently on these drugs Zerit, 3tc, Viramune and my Viral Load in July was 600. We want to have a baby and was wondering if artificial insemination is the best way we can do it. There is a clinic here with offer it.

What are the chances of the baby being healthy and not getting infected with the virus.

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Artificial insemination is an option that would avoid the risk that your husband would acquire HIV infection. The risk of HIV transmission from women to their infants during or at birth is influenced by many factors but is directly related to viral load (i.e., higher risk of infection with high viral loads). Risk of transmission is less than 1% when moms have undetectable plasma RNA. However, cases of mother to child transmission have been reported even when mom's viral load is undetectable. I would recommend that you seek counseling and care from someone experienced in treating HIV positive women to discuss your options.

KL

Katherine Luzuriaga, M.D.

Seroconversion in infants
My wife is pregnant and I am on Meds.