Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What exactly do "swollen glands" mean? How soon after a new HIV infection can swollen glands appear?
Dec 23, 2001

There is a lot of talk about how "swollen glands" are common in HIV'ers at ANY time during infection, even during the asymptomatic period and AFTER acute retroviral syndrome . Is this true?

Does this mean that it is possible or "normal" for swollen glands to start setting in only 3 months after being exposed to HIV infection?

And lastly, by "swollen glands" in reference to HIV infection, does that mean PALPABLE nodes or does it really mean swollen in every sense of the word?? (i.e. - enlarged, tender, etc.).

Any thoughts would be great!

Response from Dr. Dezube

I've addressed the issue of lymph nodes on MANY recent responses so I don't want to repeat all the response here. I'll address your two questions

1) How soon after HIV infection can swollen nodes appear? Lymph nodes can swell very soon after any viral infection, including after just a few days. So swollen glands can certainly start setting in by 3 months, and in fact, set in much earlier! Swollen lymph nodes are a sign that the body is trying to fight off infections. They are often a good sign (see my other responses for times when one should be concerned about swollen lymph nodes).

2) Does "swollen glands" mean that they are PALPABLE (i.e. you can feel them) or does it mean that they are enlarged and tender? Either of these responses are correct. A swollen lymph node can be either palpable and non-tender, or palpable and tender. Usually right after an infection, the lymph node grows so quickly that it puts pressure on its capsule and this in turn creates pain. In time, the pain subsides and you can be left with palpable lymph nodes which are no longer tender. We are most worried about lymph nodes if they are unusually large, and associated with systemic symptoms (fever, chills, night sweats, and weight loss).

Previous
my cousin has lost 150 pounds; Does he have HIV? What can I do?
Next
Are palpable lymph nodes a normal finding?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.