AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Can KS cause excessive sweating?

I have recently been diagnosed with KS and was wondering if excessive sweating was a byproduct of this diagnosis. I sweat profusely from my armpits, behind the knees and around my anus. I was wondering if this was due to the proliferation of newly formed blood vessels or maybe even swollen lymphnodes.

Thank You

Response from Dr. Dezube

It would be most unusual for Kaposi's sarcoma to be the cause of excessive sweating. I suppose it's possible if the KS lesions were in a critical location which was close to sweat glands; however, I have never observed this.

Perhaps something else is going on-- have you been started on new HIV meds? (that is something which can alter you sweat pattern and body smells); has the diagnosis of KS created unusual levels of anxiety? (that also can alter sweat patterns and body smells). If the problem continues, I would urge you to see your health provider.

If you get treatment for you KS, and your excessive sweating goes away, then perhaps there was a link. What's the stage of your KS and how is it going to be treated?

Treatment Options for perianal squamous cell carcinoma? (the cancer is on the outside)
Abnormal Gallium Scan- is it PCP pneumonia or is it from my chemotherapy? My doctor is a total jerk!