The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Newly diagnosed with HIV and now with lymph nodes-- should I get them biopsied?
Dec 12, 2001

I have recently been diagnosed as being HIV+ and I noticed that I have swollen lymph nodes in different areas and I was wondering if I should be worried that it is something more serious. My doctor said that it is common and that it wasn't anything to worry about. I have pea sized ones in my jaw, in my neck, under each of my arms, and in my groin area.

A few weeks ago I had a bad itch. I noticed that someone here had a similar case and thought it might have been Hodgkin's Disease. I am around the same age as him, I'm 22. Should I go back to the doctor and ask for a biopsy?

Thanks for your help, this is all very scary to me, this site is very helpful.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Lymph nodes are very common in HIV positive folks, particularly early on in the infection. There is no need to biopsy them unless one is way out of proportion to the other lymph nodes, you have systemic symptoms (fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss), or if the lymph nodes grow over time. Most lymph nodes are just your body's immune system trying to fight off the HIV infection. Although itching (medical term is pruritis) can be seen in Hodgkin's disease, I would certainly NOT jump to such a conclusion based on the information you have supplied me in this query. Good luck. It's not easy to be recently diagnosed with HIV. BD.

Malignant lymphoma? do I need nuclear scan or beta-2-microglobulin test?
Can comparative testing tell/RO who gave a person the virus?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint