Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

False negative HIV test with KS-HIV?
Nov 15, 2001

I took EIA tests (This is a test for HIV), which were negative, about 18 months after the possible exposure to HIV. But cannot get off the idea that I might carry HIV, because some reports show that false negative test result is possible, but rare. Also I keep seeing small lesions in my genital area and rashes in my mouth. I was suspicious of syphilis and had an RPR test for syphilis. It was negative. I took EIA twice with an interval of one month.

Can EIA results be false negative for the person with the early symptoms of KS, also infected with HIV after seroconversion?

Do I have to get tested again for more sensitive tests? I hope you can clear out this puzzle for me.

DH.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear DH:

It seems to me that you've been tested and even over-tested for HIV. No need to do anymore tests. I am NOT aware of any false HIV negative tests in folks with early symptoms of KS. It doesn't even sound like you have KS; if you do have worrisome lesions, then by all means, seek professional help. Depending upon the appearance of the lesions, a biopsy of one of the lesions may be necessary. BD.

Previous
Cancer Worries
Next
Why is my cancer always coming back and everyone else's cancer goes away?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.