AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

False negative HIV test with KS-HIV?

I took EIA tests (This is a test for HIV), which were negative, about 18 months after the possible exposure to HIV. But cannot get off the idea that I might carry HIV, because some reports show that false negative test result is possible, but rare. Also I keep seeing small lesions in my genital area and rashes in my mouth. I was suspicious of syphilis and had an RPR test for syphilis. It was negative. I took EIA twice with an interval of one month.

Can EIA results be false negative for the person with the early symptoms of KS, also infected with HIV after seroconversion?

Do I have to get tested again for more sensitive tests? I hope you can clear out this puzzle for me.

DH.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear DH:

It seems to me that you've been tested and even over-tested for HIV. No need to do anymore tests. I am NOT aware of any false HIV negative tests in folks with early symptoms of KS. It doesn't even sound like you have KS; if you do have worrisome lesions, then by all means, seek professional help. Depending upon the appearance of the lesions, a biopsy of one of the lesions may be necessary. BD.

Cancer Worries
Why is my cancer always coming back and everyone else's cancer goes away?