AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Cancer Worries

Hi Dr. Bruce,

1) I also have a problem of prostatitis. Can this cause an increase in neutrophil count and reduce the lymph counts?? Also what is the risk of getting testicular cancer if you have prostatitis??

2) Would a burning sensation in the tongue be associated with a tongue cancer??

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear worried person:

Cancerphobia is unfortunately very common. Knowledge is the best way to deal with cancer fears.

Prostatitis, as well as any inflammation or infection, can and often does lead to an increase in the neutrophil count. The effect of prostatis on lymphocytes is much more variable. I am NOT aware of any association between testicular cancer and prostatitis.

Tongue cancer usually presents as growth. Although, I imagine, tongue cancer may cause a burning sensation of the tongue, it would be most unusal and highly improbable for tongue cancer to cause a burning sensation of the tongue as the only symptom.

If you find your cancer fears are overwhelming, I would strongly urge you to seek professional help. BD.

Hodgkin's disease and HIV; why am I soooo tired? Will my CD4 counts rise?
False negative HIV test with KS-HIV?