Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cancer Worries
Nov 15, 2001

Hi Dr. Bruce,

1) I also have a problem of prostatitis. Can this cause an increase in neutrophil count and reduce the lymph counts?? Also what is the risk of getting testicular cancer if you have prostatitis??

2) Would a burning sensation in the tongue be associated with a tongue cancer??

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear worried person:

Cancerphobia is unfortunately very common. Knowledge is the best way to deal with cancer fears.

Prostatitis, as well as any inflammation or infection, can and often does lead to an increase in the neutrophil count. The effect of prostatis on lymphocytes is much more variable. I am NOT aware of any association between testicular cancer and prostatitis.

Tongue cancer usually presents as growth. Although, I imagine, tongue cancer may cause a burning sensation of the tongue, it would be most unusal and highly improbable for tongue cancer to cause a burning sensation of the tongue as the only symptom.

If you find your cancer fears are overwhelming, I would strongly urge you to seek professional help. BD.

Previous
Hodgkin's disease and HIV; why am I soooo tired? Will my CD4 counts rise?
Next
False negative HIV test with KS-HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.