AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

My daughter was treated for cervical cancer. Is she at greater risk for more cancers?

My daughter has been HIV positive for 7 years. In the summer she had a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer and one chemo treatment. They did not do any more chemo as the results after one treatment was almost devastational. Her CD4 count is around 90, and she got several infections right after surgery. She was hospitalized 4 times to receive IV antibiotics. She is now doing better and my concern now would be what are the risks of future cancers. They have put her on new HIV-meds. So, is she at greater risk for more cancer?

Response from Dr. Dezube

You ask a good question-- If someone had one cancer, are they at higher risk for more cancers? The answer to this is "maybe". Your daughter is at risk of having the cervical cancer recur. To minimize this risk, it is important that she take her new HIV-meds and that she stays on them. A low viral load (and high CD4 count) helps decrease the risk of recurrence. The low viral load also helps decrease the chance of your sister developing other cancers (e.g. AIDS-related lymphoma). Does your daughter smoke? If so, quitting that habit can decrease the likelihood of lung cancer, head and neck cancer, and other cancers. You sound like a supportive mom.

Do you think my lymphoma is relapsing?
What are the warning signs of anal cancer?