Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do you think my lymphoma is relapsing?
Nov 4, 2001

I finished CHOP chemotherapy for stage 1 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma 3 months ago. The cancer is in remission. For the past several weeks I have been fairly itchy and this has me concerned. (I never had any symtoms when I had NHL) Over the phone my oncologist's assistant said it would be rare for the cancer to come back so quickly but he will give me a look over. Should any tests be performed at this point? Any suggestions?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad to hear that you got through CHOP chemotherapy for your lymphoma. It is not uncommon to fear recurrence of your cancer each time you have symptoms. Virtually every cancer patient will have such concerns. The majority of times such symptoms do not represent tumor recurrence; unfortunately, on occasion such symptoms may be the first sign of the tumor coming back. If the symptoms persist, then the next step would be for your oncologist to arrange for you to be scanned to look for recurrence. Depending on the situation, either CT scan or gallium scan is ordered; sometimes both are necessary. Blood work is often ordered. Depending upon circumstances, specialized tests may be performed. I would beg you not to jump to conclusions about your itchiness. I wish you luck.

Previous
Relapsed AIDS lymphoma; what do you think of my chemotherapy regimen?
Next
My daughter was treated for cervical cancer. Is she at greater risk for more cancers?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.