AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Do you think my lymphoma is relapsing?

I finished CHOP chemotherapy for stage 1 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma 3 months ago. The cancer is in remission. For the past several weeks I have been fairly itchy and this has me concerned. (I never had any symtoms when I had NHL) Over the phone my oncologist's assistant said it would be rare for the cancer to come back so quickly but he will give me a look over. Should any tests be performed at this point? Any suggestions?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad to hear that you got through CHOP chemotherapy for your lymphoma. It is not uncommon to fear recurrence of your cancer each time you have symptoms. Virtually every cancer patient will have such concerns. The majority of times such symptoms do not represent tumor recurrence; unfortunately, on occasion such symptoms may be the first sign of the tumor coming back. If the symptoms persist, then the next step would be for your oncologist to arrange for you to be scanned to look for recurrence. Depending on the situation, either CT scan or gallium scan is ordered; sometimes both are necessary. Blood work is often ordered. Depending upon circumstances, specialized tests may be performed. I would beg you not to jump to conclusions about your itchiness. I wish you luck.

Relapsed AIDS lymphoma; what do you think of my chemotherapy regimen?
My daughter was treated for cervical cancer. Is she at greater risk for more cancers?