AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

White Blood Cells during primary HIV infection

I am confused about this whole white blood cell thing. There are doctors who believe that during acute retroviral syndrome/primary HIV infections that white blood cell and lymphs are low, and others say that they would be high, which is true??

Response from Dr. Dezube

I don't believe there is enough published to say definitively what happens to white cells during the acute retroviral syndroma/primary HIV infection. In general, in viral infections, the white blood cell count typically does go down; this is in contrast to bacterial infections, in which the white cells typically rise. Please realize that these are general rules-of-thumbs; they are used for guidance, but they can be easily broken. So in short, I'm not sure that I can help you in your confusion; all I can say is that both sets of doctors potentially could be correct. BD.

Chemotherapy sucks; painful lymphnode despite chemotherapy
How does HIV cause pulmonary hypertension?