Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can KS lesions be lanced and drained?
Oct 28, 2001

Can KS lesions be minimized by lancing and draining?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I doubt that lancing and draining would be very effective. Such a procedure is commonly used for infected abscesses. The purpose of the lancing and draining of an abscess is to remove the pus and to facilitate healing. KS lesions are really quite different from abscesses. KS lesions are due to a proliferation of blood vessels brought on by the Kaposi's sarcoma herpes virus (also known as HHV-8). There's no reason to assume that lancing would help. In fact, I would be concerned that breaking the KS lesion open could either increase the likelihood of a skin infection or increase the likelihood of KS spread. There are so many other good treatments for KS that I would avoid lancing and drainage. These other treatments have been dealt with before on this website so I won't go over them in detail. I'll just mention them by name

For isolated lesions- Panretin gel, intralesional velban, radiotherapy

For more systemic involvment liposomal chemotherapy (DaunoXome, Doxil), Taxol, and in some settings interferon

Virtually all patients with KS should be taking highly active anti-retroviral therapy

Previous
Is it cancer? Is it KS? MENTA: AGONY
Next
multiple lymph nodes in neck region; should i be concerned of lymphoma?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.