AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

What's the likelihood that my boy's lymphoma will come back?

My son was diagnosed with Burkitts'type Lymphoma at the age of 8. He went through chemotherapy and surgeries. What are the statistics of him developing Burkitts' again, or another kind of cancer? He is 14 now and healthy!!

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm happy to hear that your son is 6 years out from his Burkitt's lymphoma. It would be most unlikely for this lymphoma to recur at this point. Usually, when it does recur, it tends to do so within the first two years. He is indeed at higher risk of developing a new cancer compared to 14 year olds who have not had Burkitt's. This is because the chemotherapy which he received can sometimes itself cause cancer. My suspicion is that he'll do well, though he needs to be seen on an ongoing basis by his oncologist. Is he HIV positive? If so, that would also increase his chances of cancer coming back. If so, if he could help his situation by taking HIV meds. If is very natural to be fearful of the future. From the limited information you give me, his future may be bright, though obviously there are no guarantees.BD.

What are my chances of Hodgkin's recurrence? I'm scared.
Is cancer the end for most HIV/AIDS patients?