Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What's the likelihood that my boy's lymphoma will come back?
Oct 21, 2001

My son was diagnosed with Burkitts'type Lymphoma at the age of 8. He went through chemotherapy and surgeries. What are the statistics of him developing Burkitts' again, or another kind of cancer? He is 14 now and healthy!!

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm happy to hear that your son is 6 years out from his Burkitt's lymphoma. It would be most unlikely for this lymphoma to recur at this point. Usually, when it does recur, it tends to do so within the first two years. He is indeed at higher risk of developing a new cancer compared to 14 year olds who have not had Burkitt's. This is because the chemotherapy which he received can sometimes itself cause cancer. My suspicion is that he'll do well, though he needs to be seen on an ongoing basis by his oncologist. Is he HIV positive? If so, that would also increase his chances of cancer coming back. If so, if he could help his situation by taking HIV meds. If is very natural to be fearful of the future. From the limited information you give me, his future may be bright, though obviously there are no guarantees.BD.

Previous
What are my chances of Hodgkin's recurrence? I'm scared.
Next
Is cancer the end for most HIV/AIDS patients?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.