Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I had a brain tumor. Do I now have HIV?
Oct 14, 2001

I have already suffered from a Brain Tumor and have recently wondered if there is anything more to it.

I seem to have all the traits of an HIV + patient. I have the dangling sensation in my foot, I have the purple spots on my chest, and I have the itchiness that is associated with lymphoma. I also have a rash that started off as a white discharge over my eyes. I have already gone for 2 HIV tests and they are neg, and I haven't had sex in over nine months.

I am at loss as to what to do. Do you think I should go back to my neurologist and do you think that I can take it for granted that I am HIV neg?

Pw

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear PW: It is very natural for a patient who has had one serious illness (e.g. brain tumor) to ascribe new symptoms to either recurrent cancer or a new serious illness (e.g. HIV infection). Most patients will experience similar concerns. These feelings are very natural. I do indeed believe you can take it for granted that you are HIV negative since you had two negative tests. I do think that it would pay for you to see a health professional if your concerns persist. Peace of mind is hard to come by. You don't say how long ago you had your brain tumor. Is it time for a routine head CT/MRI? Good luck. BD.

Previous
Should my friend continue HIV medications during chemotherapy?
Next
Does having breast cancer change HIV testing?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.