AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

I had a brain tumor. Do I now have HIV?

I have already suffered from a Brain Tumor and have recently wondered if there is anything more to it.

I seem to have all the traits of an HIV + patient. I have the dangling sensation in my foot, I have the purple spots on my chest, and I have the itchiness that is associated with lymphoma. I also have a rash that started off as a white discharge over my eyes. I have already gone for 2 HIV tests and they are neg, and I haven't had sex in over nine months.

I am at loss as to what to do. Do you think I should go back to my neurologist and do you think that I can take it for granted that I am HIV neg?

Pw

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear PW: It is very natural for a patient who has had one serious illness (e.g. brain tumor) to ascribe new symptoms to either recurrent cancer or a new serious illness (e.g. HIV infection). Most patients will experience similar concerns. These feelings are very natural. I do indeed believe you can take it for granted that you are HIV negative since you had two negative tests. I do think that it would pay for you to see a health professional if your concerns persist. Peace of mind is hard to come by. You don't say how long ago you had your brain tumor. Is it time for a routine head CT/MRI? Good luck. BD.

Should my friend continue HIV medications during chemotherapy?
Does having breast cancer change HIV testing?