AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Lymph node swelling; Should I worry?

I have a lymph node of size 1- 1.5 cm. No other symptoms. My blood test, x-ray are all negative. Should I be assured or go futher for more testing or what else can I do?

Response from Dr. Dezube

The vast majority of swollen lymph nodes are harmless and are just an indication of your body trying to fight off an infection. We get particularly worried about lymph nodes if one or two nodes are way out of proportion to the other nodes, if they persist and grow, if they are in unusual location (common locations are groin, armpit, and neck; all others are more unusual), or if they are associated with systemic symptoms (fever, chills, night sweats, and weight loss). I always appreciate brevity in queries, however, you query is so brief that it's hard to render any type of opinion. Are you HIV+? Where is the node? Do you have any other nodes? Are you a smoker? How old are you? Do you have any other medical illnesses? Most nodes can be safely watched over a one month period to see if they shrink or grow.

Can itchy skin be the only symptom of HIV?
Bloody sex!