Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Have you ever thought of getting your patients off meds?

Dear Dr. Bruce:

Knowing that so many HIV positive people are now living healthy and happy without taking HIV meds, and knowing the severe side effects associated with most if not all of the meds, have you ever considered taking a different approach to treating HIV positive people? Like...getting them off the meds quicker. Just wondering?

I thank you in advance for your thoughtful response.

Jim

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Jim: Most of my patients who are doing well, are doing well because they are taking their medications. On occasion some do take a "drug holiday". The side effects of the medicines pale to the side effects of full-blown AIDS. I try my best to listen to my patients, hear their concerns, and address their worries appropriately. Getting my patients en masse off medications strikes me akin to setting back the time clock to the pre-HAART era.

My 10 year old son has shingles or hiv???
Are there lymph nodes near the elbows? near the knees?