AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

My 10 year old son has shingles or hiv???

My Son is 10 years old and has had shingles 8 times. He has finally had a panel of test taken and has tested possitive for HIV. What does Hiv have to do with the shingles and how can this be treated. We feel so left out in the dark. thanks

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Shingles is a reactivation of the chickenpox virus which occurs most frequently in individuals with damaged immune systems; HIV damages the immune system resulting in an increased frequency of shingles; treatment of HIV infected children with triple combination therapy can frequently restore to immune system to near normal and prevent these recurrences of shingles;JLS.

Severe cramps in my calves; I completed chemotherapy 1 month ago
Have you ever thought of getting your patients off meds?