AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Can KS appear before the HIV test comes back positive?

I was just wondering on the time frame it takes for Kaposi's Sarcoma to appear. I may have been exposed at work a little over 2 months ago (i was told it was a very low risk exposure) but now I have some red spots in my mouth and a brown spot on my arm (very small). My HIV test was negative (I know it is not accurate yet but my doctor suggested it to calm my nerves) My question is can KS show up this early? Please help I'm going out of my mind. Your time is greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I would doubt very much that you have KS related to HIV. Although AIDS-related KS can indeed occur early in the course of HIV infection, it typically does not do so until there are some signs of immune defects. There are also some patients who develop non-HIV related KS, but this is quite unusual. If the spots persist, you might want to have one of them biopsied both to find out what's going on and also for your peace of mind.

Blood Vessels in my nose-- What can I do about them?
How do you start to build yourself back after a year of chemo..When will I feel alive again??