AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Blood Vessels in my nose-- What can I do about them?

Dear Dr. Dezube,

I appreciate the valuable information you provide in this forum.

I have unsightly broken blood vessels in my nose. (1) Have you ever seen this in HIV+ patients? (2) Is there any thing I can do about it?

Response from Dr. Dezube

The finding of broken blood vessels on the nose is not all that uncommon. I'm not sure it's related to HIV. Depending upon how bad the situation is, you can see a nose doctor [otolaryngologist, also known as ears, nose, throat (ENT) specialist]. Often an ENT doctor can cauterize (burn) these vessels and solve the problem quit readily. Often a dab of make-up can make the blood vessels less obvious. (Some of my patients cover up such lesions quite successfully!) Lastly certain skin conditions (e.g. rosacea) can aggrevate this situation. I would suggest you see either an ENT specialist or a dermatologist; the choice sort of depends whether your condition is isolated just to the nose, or involves more of your face.

I hate my primary care doctor; I'm sick and tired of him
Can KS appear before the HIV test comes back positive?