AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

What about African KS?

Why aren't we seeing large cases of KS with African AIDS like we initially saw with gay men in the early years of AIDS?

Response from Dr. Dezube

When you mention African KS, are you referring to KS on the continent of Africa or KS among African-Americans. In Africa, KS is quite common. This is related to the fact that the herpesvirus (also known as HHV8), which causes KS, is quite common in Sub-Saharan Africa. KS contributes to much of the suffering seen among young HIV-patients in Africa. Among African-Americans who are gay, KS is seen about as common as in white gay men. Among African-Americans who are heterosexuals, KS is quite uncommon; this is because HHV8 is not yet found commonly in that community. Hope this clarifies the situation.

My penis goes limp and has lost feeling; is this cancer?
I hate my primary care doctor; I'm sick and tired of him