AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Is my partner's bruise -like patch Kaposi's?

I recently noticed a bruise like patch on a new sex partner and wondered if it could be Kaposi's Sarcoma. It is large, on his thigh and looks like a bruise. It has been there for at least 2 weeks. I am unsure of his hiv status.

Response from Dr. Dezube

There's no way I can give you a definitive answer. If he were to contact me, I might recommend to him that he have the lesion biopsied. In this case, it is not him, but rather his partner (you) who is contacting me. I might suggest you discuss this with him if that is at all possible. Would such a discussion be overly awkward? You mentioned that he's a new sex partner. Hopefully in time, you may have such a discussion. On occasion partners may not necessarily convey accurate information for fear of rejection. At this point, I can only recommend compassion and safe sex.

Can KS cause an allergic reaction?
non-HIV related Kaposis syndrome treatments-- Should I start chemotherapy