AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

What is prednisone withdrawal?

What is prednisone withdrawal? My doctor thinks I have it. I get the prednsionse as part of my lymphoma treatment. I'm sick with worry.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Prednisone is a steroid drug, which is used to treat lymphoma and also a whole variety of inflammatory conditions. It's the "P" in the chemotherapy regiment called CHOP. When a patient comes off prednisone, it is not unusal for s/he to feel blue, tired, itchy, and many other symptoms. This is because steroids/prednisone cause patients to have a sense of euphoria and increased energy. If the prednisone was used to suprress an itch condition, then coming off of it can cause a rash (this is why prednisone is used for bad cases of poison ivy). The remedy for this is to have your provider taper the prednisone withdrawal more slowly. I understand that you are sick with worry; the condition you described is one which can be dealt with! GOOD LUCK. BD. {P.S.: I shortened your rather detailed e-mail to make it a bit more suitable to the general audience of thebody.com}

KS Diagnosis, but HIV negative. How is this possible? Am I contagious?
Do you think my spot is KS?