Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

KS Diagnosis, but HIV negative. How is this possible? Am I contagious?
Aug 18, 2001

I have recently been diagnosed with Kaposi's Sarcoma after a lesion was removed from the back of my leg. I was subsequently tested for HIV, and the result was negative. How common is it to have KS, and be HIV negative at the same time? Does a diagnosis of KS mean that I have AIDS even though my HIV test is negative? How can I have KS, and not be HIV positive? All the material i read seems to say that KS is an AIDS-related cancer. I am soooooooooo confused. Is KS contagious?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Yes, you can have Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) without being HIV positive! You are indeed correct, however, this is a bit unusual and is not what is typically described in what you read or what you see (such as Tom Hanks movie "Philadelphia", in which he portrays an HIV-positive gay man with KS). KS is caused by a herpesvirus called HHV-8 or Kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus (this is different than the typical herpes that many people get on their mouth or in their genital area). Typically the HIV-negative form of KS is less aggressive than the HIV-positive form, so hopefully your KS will be a mild case.

Is KS contagious? This is quite a loaded question. The virus, which causes KS, can indeed be spread through "deep kissing" (that's the terminology adopted by the New England Journal of Medicine). That said, we are exposed daily to many, many virus and bacteria. This comes with being a living human being on the face of the earth. I would NOT be overly concerned about being infectious, since we are all spreading viruses on a regular basis, and most of the recipients' bodies deal with these infections quite well. In fact, the vast majority of gay men with HHV-8 (Kaposi's sarcoma herpres virus) do NOT have KS and do not even know that they are harboring the virus. Hope this helps. You should do well. GOOD LUCK. BD.

Previous
Do HIV drugs prevent lymphoma from popping up?
Next
What is prednisone withdrawal?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.