AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Do HIV drugs prevent lymphoma from popping up?

I stoped taking my HIV meds December of 2000 after taking them for 6 yrs. Right afterwords I did not feel very well for a long time. I had figured that this would happen as my body adjusted to no meds. Now lumps are appering in my groin my arm pit and abdomen. Would the HIV drug cocktail hold off the progression of Lymphoma for that 5 yr period of time? I am schedualed for a MRI and CT scan and that should answer a lot of questions, but I am sitting here trying to put it all. I hate to be sucha pain with so many questions, but I also figure this this is a learning experience for HIV'ers. There is so much info on HIV but quite often none that applys to the question, so this is a great service you are providing (THANK YOU VERY MUCH) Danny

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Danny, First I would recommend that you NOT jump the gun and give yourself a lymphoma diagnosis. There are many causes of swellings you describe, many of which are not related to lymphoma. Let's see what the MRI and CT scans show. You may need one of these lumps biopsied.

You ask a very important question-- Do HIV drugs prevent lymphoma from occurring? The answer to this is an emphatic yes! HIV drugs are the best defense an HIV'er has against opportunistic infections and opportunistics cancers (lymphoma, KS, and so on).

First sort out what these growths are. Depending upon what your CD4 count and viral load are, you might need to go back to taking these HIV drugs. The best offense against the illnesses AIDS creates, is a good defenese (i.e. the HIV drugs). GOOD LUCK. BD.

Treatment of KS after Doxil and Taxol? What's next?
KS Diagnosis, but HIV negative. How is this possible? Am I contagious?